HOW TO WRITE SEO-FRIENDLY BLOG POST? – 2021
Writing blogs is one thing but writing SEO-friendly blogs is a little different. A blog with supreme quality may not be able to outperform a blog that is written using SEO metrics.
The point of writing SEO-friendly blogs is that your content is interesting, engaging, and informative with a factor that allows it to appear before many people when they search related keywords and topics. Due to massive competition in the blogging world, you cannot afford to miss out on opportunities to rank your blog in search engines where you have put on a lot of effort and research.
So let’s jump into the guidelines.
For your blog to rank higher in search engines like google, certain measures are taken care of.
The following presents the guideline for an Effective and Efficient way to research and write an SEO-oriented blog post.
- Identify a relevant Topic and Keywords
- Structuring, Paragraphs, and Headings.
- Keywords utilization
- Mindset and things to implement
- Longer content
- Original Content
- Graphics optimization
- URL Optimization
- Increase CTR in SERPs
- Bounce Rate Reduction
- Page loading speed
- Share on Social Medias
- Content Update
We now dive into details for each measure mentioned above.
Identify a relevant Topic and Keywords
The Heading or the Topic of the Blog is the first thing you must be sure of. Start with researching what is the most searched topic and keywords under your niche. Things you must look while researching for keywords are:
- The Topic you are trying to cover is already in audience demand and modify it so it fully justifies your blog. While choosing the topic, read it from an audience view.
Which one will you choose?
“Blog Post Tips”
“How to Write an SEO-friendly Blog Post?”
“How to rank your blog post higher in Google search in 2021?” \
Most probably the 3rd one of the 2nd one.
- The keywords are highly relevant among people and fit properly with your niche. If you are writing a blog on study tips, list out the most relevant searcheto visit later whenipedia, Google, or tools like Ubersuggest can give you an idea for noting down Primary keywords and other multiple Secondary Keywords which must be used throughout the blog naturally.
- It would help if the keywords are popular yet with low competition. There are various tools like UberSuggest to figure out the popularity and competition rate of a keyword.
Structuring, Paragraphs, and Headings.
The proper Structuring of a blog is often ignored. A good structure can motivate a reader to continue further reading the blog. To write a readable and SEO-friendly blog post, you need to create a clear structure for the blog. This means that every post should have:
- an introduction (in which introduce the Title and prepare the reader)
- a body (in which write the main message )
- a conclusion (in which summarize the main ideas)
Initially in a few sentences, write down what you want to say in all three sections as a summary of your post. This will help you create a structured and readable blog post. Now the real writing can begin.
Everybody uses paragraphs, but not everybody uses them well. Don’t start each new sentence on a new line just because it looks nice. Also, try not to make them too lengthy, as each paragraph should have its idea or subject. Ask yourself what the main idea of each paragraph is and summarize that main idea in one sentence. In case you feel the idea needs to be explained with further sentences, use the next paragraphs for it.
Proper headings can always help the readers to understand the context of a specific part of the text. To guide the audience through the article, subheadings can help lead them to scan the page with clear structure. This not only creates convenience for the reader but also helps in SEO. That’s why using keywords in some of the subheadings is important as well. But don’t let the keyword make the article boring or repetitive.
Keywords utilization is considered as one of the most important measures while writing an SEO-friendly blog. Get your List of Keywords along with you to apply these guidelines.
- Natural fitting of the primary keyword throughout the text.
Using the primary keyword throughout the text helps search engines understand and categorize the page. A good keyword density is about 2%, so use the keyword naturally about one to two times for every 100 words.
A simple technique for naturalization of keyword fitting is drafting a complete text without keywords in mind and then reviewing the text to add the keyword where it fits naturally.
- Secondary keywords
Secondary keywords provide additional context for your content, which helps search engines further categorize the text. Use a maximum of 5 of your secondary keywords at least once in the post.
- Primary keyword in the first paragraph.
Include your primary keyword close to the top of the page and in the first paragraph in a relevant way.
- Primary keyword in a subheading.
A subheading is a text that creates a break in the page and is formatted with H2, H3, H4, etc. Great SEO content uses subheadings to break up big blocks of text. This makes it easy for web readers to scan the content and for search engines to understand the copy. Utilize subheadings and use the primary keyword in at least one of your subheadings.
- Primary keyword in the conclusion.
While ending the topic with a conclusion use the primary keyword such that the summary defines the whole content above.
Mindset and things to implement
As a writer, you must have certain mindsets along with innovative freedom which can amaze you.
- Write for readers, not search engines.
Always and I repeat always, remember that you’re writing for humans. As a best practice, never create content exclusively to appeal to the search engines. Always keep your readers in mind, and as you are creating a post, don’t make changes if they are going to improve SEO but decrease user experience. Trying to get SEO-friendly can lead your writing to be reader unfriendly.
The best blog posts are easy to read and written for easy consumption. Both readers and search engines value this, so use short sentences and paragraphs and avoid lengthy and complex terms.
- Check Grammars and spelling errors
Readers will surely value well-written and high-quality content but so will the search engines. Grammar, syntax, and spelling send signals to search engine that helps your blog to rank higher. Carefully check your copy before it is posted to ensure it does not include errors, typos, or mistakes.
- Write for an eighth-grade reading level.
You can find your Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level and tips for improving your content by using the Readability Score.
Saying longer content is very vague on its own. As of 2021, the ideal SEO blog length is considered to be 1,760-2,400 Words. Consider benchmark for the minimum word count is 300+ words. Having more than 300 words keeps your blog from being considered ‘thin content’ on your website. Writing 300 or more words provides enough information to help search engines understand the page and rank it better.
There can be many different opinions about what word count is best for SEO, but to be confident while writing, the best practice can be writing as much as is needed to cover the topic between 500 and 2,500 words. For writing more than that, breaking up the text into multiple, linked pages can be the best way.
The search engines do not support identical content used on multiple web pages. Copying content from other pages on your website will increase the invisibility of your blog. Instead, try writing original content that is not published anywhere on the internet or has the least competition for boosting the SEO of your website.
For this again you need to have some research to have an idea of public perception towards different topics and availability of its discussion on the internet. Identifying questions in people’s minds can help you determine the next topic for your blog post under your niche.
If you think the importance of graphics in a blog is for attractive display and descriptive support only, add On-page SEO to the list. Image optimization in your post also makes your website more appealing to search engine crawlers. Using graphics helps search engines understand your content better and also make your website visible from image searches.
It is more important now because Google has removed the “view image” button in the image search results, which leads more people to the website for viewing the image.
For optimization of graphics in a blog following ways can be considered.
- Use a minimum of one image in a blog post
- Choose the best file type according to the graphics (jpg for image, png for custom graphics, and gif for animations)
- File size should be appropriate as it affects the page loading time.
- Image alt tags must include keywords which are how search engines understand the image.
- Adding Image structured data is a way to linking backend details with an image which is also a way search engine understands it.
- Using keywords in title and name for the graphics also aids in SEO rather than using names like the image or something random.
URL stands for Uniform Resource Locator which has a role of its own. URL Optimization needs to be in place because of the following reasons:
- URL length is #46
- URL path is #47
- The keyword in the URL is #51
- The URL string is #52 in Google’s top 200 ranking factors
Best Practices for URL Optimization are:
- SSL certificate for the website (HTTPS) is very important for security and SEO purposes.
- URL must be concise and definitive so that by URL only one can guess what can be on the page.
- 3- 5 words are considered best for URL and appear normal. More than that can decrease readability and affect SEO as well.
- According to necessity use hyphens to separate words. URLs should not use underscores, spaces, or any other characters to separate words.
- Use lowercase letters for easy readability. Mixed-case or uppercase letters are not encouraged.
- A maximum of 2 folders per URL makes it look more clear and easier for string edits.
- 1- 2 Target keywords in the URL benefits but not stuffing them shamelessly.
- Do not repeat a keyword more than once in the URL. This repetition can be seen as a form of manipulation and spam content.
Increase CTR in SERPs
Increasing Click-Through-Rate (CTR) requires lots of measures to be handled patiently. CTR is a very useful metric that helps in analyzing and devising your campaigns according to the business objectives. Higher CTR improves your Ad rank in the search engines that causes your ads to rank higher. Following action tips can help you with improving CTR.
- Meta Title and Meta Description Optimization.
- Descriptive URL with keywords.
- Aim for ranking under the top 3.
- Features Snippets Optimization
- Optimize Images and Videos for SEO.
- Social media Sharing
- OFFERS that create a buzz.
- Google My Business
- Running targeted PPC ads of the right type.
Bounce Rate Reduction
Bounce Rate is the percentage of viewers that flew to the different websites without taking any action on your webpage. Bounce rates indicate On-page, Off-page and technical issues in SEO for your website. Few measures to reduce the bounce rate of your website are the following.
- Integrating Youtube videos on the home page.
- Improve page loading speed.
- Engaging content and writings.
- Mobile user friendly
- Keywords utilization
- Improve UI/UX and navigations.
Page loading speed
Anyone will get frustrated when a page loads slow. It is an essential sign for search engine algorithm to rank your web page. The slow loading speed can cause web crawlers to read few pages only which can affect your indexation. Page loading speed affects the user experience as well. Longer loading time tends to increase bounce rate and decrease the average time on the page. It is necessary to be handled from the Technical SEO part. Some ideas for increasing loading speed are:
- Clean then compress the code to load the page faster.
- Optimize images and use CSS sprites to load all images all at once.
- Reduce redirects to increase the loading speed.
- Leverage browser caching.
- Improving overall server response time.
- Content Distribution Networks (CDNs) helps to load your page faster
Share on Social Medias
Social media are high-traffic generating platforms for your blog. Good content is always appreciated anywhere it is found and no better place than social media to share your content publicly. Social Media can at the least make people aware of your post and introduce your kind of content. The reach is fairly wide on Social Media a high rate of conversion can be expected. Social shares also add up to the SEO ranking of your web content. The response from social media can be decisive sometimes. Ways to promote your website on Social media are :
- Identify where can you find your target audience and get active in all of them.
- Share your content regularly and observe the feedbacks.
- Write appealing Titles but not clickbaits.
- Write content based on what readers want and what is your strength.
- If blogs are useful and fun to read it is easy to get attention on social media.
- Different objectives can be fulfilled from social media Ads like Awareness, consideration or conversion for specific target audience.
- Try engaging the audience by sharing blogs in different social media groups and building connections.
Though Content is the King it can get old and obsolete quickly in this changing world. You need to get your facts updated to keep on with the pace. Older content can get people to feel skeptical and move on to recent ones. Time is changing rapidly and so is information and technologies. Updating and optimizing content according to the changes that have happened is necessary from an SEO point of view as well. Certain things that can help you refresh your content are :
- Identify the pages that needs to be updated from the analytics.
- Update the keyword research.
- Change the titles to a more relevant one.
- Add internal links to the recent posts.
- Update the content to provide accurate and useful informations.
- Reply to the comments in the blogs and also can include FAQ’s answer.
- Scan and remove broken links.
- Add Schema Markup
- Add current year to the headings and repromote the updated blogs.
As easy and precise it may look in writing, to be frank, it is a tedious process while implementing. The blog market is huge now in 2021 and new creators are entering the field on daily basis. Amidst this, your blog post can still be popular if these guidelines are followed properly.
The main mistake that a marketer or a blogger does time again is that they try hard with incomplete knowledge about SEO and its elements and thus their posts become just another article on the internet. Avoid it by learning things first and trying out techniques that fit well with your style of writing.
If you are interested in SEO and want to invest in-depth, we recommend you to understand what makes a post rank higher by going through Google’s 200 Ranking Factors.
Each factor must be taken under consideration as per our control and ability. By understanding how and why a website ranks higher, the path gets even clearer day by day for your content to generate leads and traffic better.